Are you considering joining your local MOAA chapter? Are you a chapter member or leader seeking to explain the chapter system to a potential new member? Either way, here are seven good reasons for any officer—active duty, Guard, Reserve, former, or retired, or their surviving spouse—to join a MOAA chapter today.
- Make yourself heard. MOAA’s chapters provide critical grassroots support for MOAA’s national legislative agenda. Our benefits are under attack and MOAA is in the fight to preserve them. Chapter members let their legislators know what’s on their minds and open doors for MOAA’s legislative team in Washington, D.C. In these difficult times, MOAA members need to stick together and our chapters are the best way we know to do that.
- Giving back to the community. Chapter members are MOAA’s ambassadors in their communities, supporting countless programs that make a difference in the lives of others. These members continue their “officership” service and are giving back in the truest sense.
- Value added to chapter member lives. MOAA chapters sponsor interesting programs and opportunities to interact with civic, political, military, and business leaders on issues important to members.
- Networking with fellow officers. Chapters include second career members in the work force and retired servicemembers who have contacts in their communities that can be valuable to transitioning officers.
- Stay informed. Chapter newsletters, websites, and meetings provide you the latest information on local, state, and national issues and changes to military benefits.
- Influencing state legislation. Most states have a council of chapters that unites every MOAA chapter in the state. These councils and independent chapters in states without a council often lobby for and pass state-level legislation that affects military members and their families, such exempting military retired pay from state income tax or increasing funding for state-run VA programs.
- Camaraderie with a purpose. Many chapter members miss the camaraderie and core values of military service and want to develop close and lasting friendships with other members with similar backgrounds and interests.